[BRLTTY] how to start and stop brltty

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Tue Feb 23 09:37:20 EST 2021

[quoted lines by John Covici on 2021/02/23 at 09:27 -0500]

>I don't have any .pc in that directory,  I don't even have that
>directory.

Just to confirm, the directory is: /usr/share/pkgconfig/

>All mine are in /usr/lib64/pkgconfig, except for a few
>things I had to install manually and there is only the one I said in
>that directory.

Then you have a non-standard environment.

>I am wondering if you are making too many assumptions about where
>things are and what they are, don't assume everything is like Debian
>or Ubuntu.

And just where have I made such an assumption? I'm asking pkg-config where
things should be put. That's doing it correctly. Are you suggesting that we
don't trust pkg-config?

By the way: I myself don't even use Debian or any of its derrivatives. Why did
you assume that I do?

>I know its difficult, but I wonder if things like arch,
>fedora, and other distributions put everything where you might expect
>it to be.

If what's difficult? Concluding that pkg-config returns bad data? That
decision, at least for me, isn't difficult - it's impossible! It's the
responsibility of a distribution to define these things correctly.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |