[BRLTTY] Nos braille ouput through Orca since 6.2

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Tue Feb 23 15:22:40 EST 2021

Hi,

Le 17/02/2021 à 16:33, Dave Mielke a écrit :
 > [quoted lines by Didier Spaier on 2021/02/17 at 12:29 +0100]
 >
 >> Probably solved. I started brltty while the root partition was still
mounted
 >> read-only so its file system could be checked. It didn't hurt with
6.1 but
 >> does
 >> with 6.3.
 >
 > Then it's still a probem. At least, that's the way I look at it.
Perhaps you
 > could mount a read-write volume at that point, which will survive,
and tell
 > brltty to log into it. We really should try to figure out why this isn't
 > working.

To investigate further I asked user Tony Seth (in CC) to provide a log from
Orca when using brltty-6.1 and another one when using brltty-6.3, after
having appended a debug option to the line that starts orca in
~/.config/autostart/startorca.desktop.The sequnce of actions was in both
cases:
1. Reboot
2. Log in as regular user in /dev/tty1
3. Type startx, which launches the Mate desktop dn starts Orca.
4. Do something that makes Orca speak.
5. Kill brltty.

I have stored the logs he kindly sent me here aftre having renamed them for
clarity:
https://slint.fr/brltty/

Indeed, no output on the Brialle from Orca with 6.3, no issue with 6.1

Only the log with brltty 6.3 incldues error messages like the one below
between lines with '---'

---
Could not initialize BrlTTY:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/orca/braille.py", line 1773,
in init
     _brlAPI = brlapi.Connection()
   File "brlapi.pyx", line 445, in brlapi.Connection.__init__
brlapi.ConnectionError: couldn't connect to b':0' with key
b'keyfile:/etc/brlapi.key+polkit': b'connect: No such file or directory'
(brlerrno 11, libcerrno 2, gaierrno 0)
Is BRLTTY really running?
---

Indeed brltty was running and the file etc/brlapi.key exists.

I have no idea why the keyfile is named /etc/brlapi.key+polkit in the
log, if
you need more information I can try to get them from Joanie.

I hope these information helps.

Tony told me that he's ready to answer questions about what he did and his
context. Hopefully he is also volunteer to do more testing if need be :-)

I don't think he is registered to this list, so please CC him as necessary.

Best regards,
Didier