[BRLTTY] Building without contracted braille support.

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Mon Mar 8 12:27:36 EST 2021

Brltty can be built so that it doesn't contain support for contracted braille -
via its configure's --disable-contracted-braille option. I'd like to remove
this capability, so I'm asking if anyone out there has a good reason not to do
this.

This option was added, a very long time ago, in order to save space on small
devices. These days, it's saving about 6000 bytes of compiled code and about
1500K of file space (that's the size of the contraction tables subdirectory).

These days, removing the support for contracted braille from brltty makes no
sense to me, especially since there are some languages that absolutely do
require it. I don't think the small space savings are enough to justify the
capability. Also, we've had the occasional build failure when it was used
because (sure, it's our fault) we'd failed to test it.

So, in case I'm wrong, I'm asking. Can any of you think of a reason that the
ability to remove support for contracted braille from brltty should be
retained?

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |