[BRLTTY] Building without contracted braille support.

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Mon Mar 8 13:54:53 EST 2021

[quoted lines by Brian Buhrow on 2021/03/08 at 10:10 -0800]

>Am I correct that even if one has contracted braille support compiled into the
>brltty, it is possible to disable it at run time if the need arises?

Brltty doesn't impose the use of contracted braille. You can choose whether you want to use computer braille or contracted braille.

>Another thught is that it could be a useful option to have if one is testing with alternative contraction choices.

I'm not sure what you mean, here. One can switch between provided contraction tables, modify existing ones, write new ones, etc.

>And, what about foreign language support?  Presumably, the contraction tables controlled by this option are English specific.

Not at all. Brltty provides contraction tables for many languages. It also supports LibLouis tables.
There are some languages that require the use of a contraction table, which, to me, is a big reason to not disable their suport.

>Therefore, it might be useful to have this option be available if someone is trying to make brltty work for non-English purposes.

It's quite the opposite, actually. Some languages couldn't be used with contraction table support disabled.

I'm curious: Why did you think that brltty was so English-centric. The only area where that's actually true is in message translation beccause of not having translators for more than a few languages.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |