[BRLTTY] Why would someone want to use unicode Braille?

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Mon Mar 22 10:51:59 EDT 2021

[quoted lines by John J. Boyer on 2021/03/22 at 06:51 -0500]

>Sorry for the dumb question.

That's an illegal apology as no question is dumb.

>It seems to me that one would want to have the Braille device sent characters that display the desired dot pattern.

Consider braille music. It's international, but which character is represened by which dot combination varies from one text table to another. The only reliable way to render braille music so that people of all languages can read it is to use Unicode braille patterns.

Another example is if one wishes to show a sighted person what something actually looks like in braille.

Yet another example is if two braille users wish to communicate but each of them is using an entirely different text table.

I could go on and on and on and on.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |