[BRLTTY] Low-level BrlAPI questions

Aura Kelloniemi kaura.dev at sange.fi
Thu May 6 09:10:51 EDT 2021

Hello

On 2021-03-26 at 22:45 +0200, Aura Kelloniemi <kaura.dev at sange.fi> wrote:
 > I have several questions about BrlAPI's internals:

Now I'm working with the parameters. In order to take advantage of Rust's
strong static type system I consider adding separate functions form
getting/setting/watching for each parameter. This code generation can be
automated with macros, so it will be less work than what it sounds.

I hae some questions about the parameter system:

- Parameter properties don't provide the read-only status information of a
  parameter. Could this be added? (Yes, aI know it breaks ABI.)

- Or can I somehow get to know which parameters are read-only? Some of the
  parameters are obviously rea-only (like the display size), but not all, like
  the used braille tables.

- brlapi_param_properties_t defines the parameter properties for all
  parameters. When type of a parameter is BRLAPI_PARAM_TYPE_STRING, the count
  member is not initialized (and thus will be zero). Shouldn't count be set
  to 1, if the parameter has a single value – like one string?

- Is the isArray member in brlapi_param_properties_t somehow useful in
  parameter properties. If count is greater than 1, doesn't it mean that the
  parameter value is an array – or are there varaible-length arrays, and if
  so, how are they represented in properties?

--
Aura