[BRLTTY] Fwd: Problems when using brltty in the terminal

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sun May 9 05:09:40 EDT 2021

Aura Kelloniemi, le dim. 09 mai 2021 10:48:28 +0300, a ecrit:
> On 2021-05-09 at 09:23 +0200, halim.sahin at freenet.de wrote:
>  > Yes, brltty should talk when a user enables speech. But It should _only_ talk in xfce/mate/gnome terminals and not when
>  > using the graphical desktop.
>
> Does it help if you set
>
> screen-parameters a2:Type=terminal
>
> in your /etc/brltty.conf?

That's already the default.

But as I tried to explain in my first mail but apparently completely
failed: only makes the reading of other widgets *less* prioritized,
and not completely ignored. For braille that's fine enough since more
prioritized reading completely overrides the braille output. But
for speech these is no such thing as *overriding* priority, speech
dispatcher still reads everything that clients tell it, just in the
priority order. It currently does not have any way to know that there
are two screen readers, and only the messages of one of the two should
be actually spoken.

Previously the braille part didn't have such overriding priority so we
were making atspi2 completly shut up when the type is not the expected
one. But then we had braille overriding priorities and thus we made
atspi2 always return something, with a "quality" label to let braille
know which priority to use. And thus speech starting always getting
text to speech, which it now just does. Thus the three possibilities I
mentioned.

Samuel