[BRLTTY] Fwd: Problems when using brltty in the terminal

Mario Lang mlang at blind.guru
Mon May 10 03:12:39 EDT 2021

Didier Spaier <didier at slint.fr> writes:

> Le 09/05/2021 à 23:09, Samuel Thibault a écrit :
>> Didier Spaier, le dim. 09 mai 2021 23:02:49 +0200, a ecrit:
>>> Still, this could be an issue for audiophiles, but they can use jack.
>> Speech-based screen reading also requires very low latency to get
>> snappy
>> feedback.
>
> OK, then does anyone knows how to measure the latency increase?

Latency in RT audio is mostly driven by buffer size.
These buffer sizes vary greatly, depending on the software and hardware
in use.  JACK with a good soundcard can indeed go down to
a buffer size of 64 frames or even lower.  That makes for a fixed
latency of around 2ms, depending on the sample rate.
On the ohter end of the spectrum, carelessly written audio programs
might go up to buffer sizes of up to 2048.   Now latecy is more around
50ms, which is starting to get noticeable.

However, I suspect there are several latencies adding up in the case of
speech synthesis.  It would indeed be worthwhile to investigate if some
of these can be reduced.  However, I think this would need some
automated testing.

To come back to your question, can you specify a little more clearly
which increase you are refering to?

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕