[BRLTTY] Fwd: Problems when using brltty in the terminal

Christian Schoepplein chris at schoeppi.net
Tue May 11 08:37:42 EDT 2021

Hi Samuel,

Am 11.05.2021 um 11:02 schrieb Samuel Thibault:
> Christian Schoepplein, le mar. 11 mai 2021 09:04:26 +0200, a ecrit:
>> It also turned out that many problems are gone when Mate terminal is used in
>> fullscreen mode.
>
> Oh? That's surprising since it shouldn't be changing anything concerning
> the at-spi access to the terminal (except its width). Is this with
> brltty 6.3?

Yes, this is with brltty 6.3 on Debian Bullseye. I started brltty in the
Mate terminal like describe many times before:

brltty -b ba -x a2 -N

When the fullscreen mode is activated scroling behaviour is much better
with brltty.

Without fullscreen mode empty lines are not always displayed and
sometimes the content of new lines is not shown when reading a text in
textbased apps like nano, vi or w3m. I think this might have todo with
the way very long lines are displayed in text mode application.

Lets say you go through a text with very long lines in vi and you come
to the end of the screen. If you go to the next line and this line is
that long, that three lines on the screen are needed to display the
whole content of this line, you only press one times arrow down to get
into this new line with the computer or in the editor, but on the screen
the content scrols three lines up to fully get displayed on the screen.
If the fullscreen mode is used such conditions occure not that ofthen,
because more content can be displayed.

It seems to me that brltty has problems to deal with such conditions,
buut I notice those problems only when I use brltty in the Mate
terminal. In pure text environments such things do not occure.

Cheers,

   Schoepp