[BRLTTY] The braillists forum and an article about reading in braille

Mario Lang mlang at blind.guru
Sat Sep 4 13:18:25 EDT 2021

Sébastien Hinderer <Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org> writes:

> Samuel Thibault (2021/08/30 18:56 +0200):
>> Sébastien Hinderer, le lun. 30 août 2021 17:54:29 +0200, a ecrit:
>> > Regarding the counting feature, I find it very clever! But then I'm
>> > wondering, why not ocunting tabs directly?
>>
>> The screen reader cannot actually "see" the tab characters, it only sees
>> spaces.
>
> Ah yes, this of course makes sense. Sorry.

The editor would need to do that.  However, note that the fight on tabs
vs spaces isn't really being won by any side either.

In fact, if I were to aim for primarily speech based coding, I'd look
into Emacspeak or similar solutions.  You really want structured
information when reading code with speech I think.  Its not just about
identation.  You might want to change voices based on syntax
highlighting, just to name one example.  T.V. Raman really has a point
in saying that the artificial boundary between application and
screenreader, which is the screen, is a hinderance to good screen
reading.  If the screen reader had more direct access to the application
it is presenting, it could do much more with less heuristics.  Which is
what Emacspeak demonstrates.  There is a learning curve yes, but I guess
every sufficiently customizable editor could be used to write a screen
reader plugin for.  It just appears Emacspeak is about the most complete
attempt of that idea.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕