[BRLTTY] [OT] Braille display recommendation

Mario Lang mlang at blind.guru
Mon Apr 11 17:13:59 EDT 2022

Aura Kelloniemi <kaura.dev at sange.fi> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On 2022-04-07 at 21:20 +0200, Mario Lang <mlang at blind.guru> wrote:
>  > Aura Kelloniemi <kaura.dev at sange.fi> writes:
>  > > So if you have any remarks that might be useful for me (including possible
>  > > deficiencies of the newest Focus Blue), I'm very interested to read.
>
>  > Since the key layout of Active Braille and Active Star are pretty
>  > similar, you already ruled out what I would have wnated to suggest.
>  > I really like my Active Star 40,
>
> I reconsider the Actie Braille 2021, because it has many advantages. But am I
> right that the Active Braille series don't have an SD reader, which means that
> I would need to use a proprietary tool to transfer files to/from the internal
> storage, if I wish to utilize the note taker.

I have no idea about the Active Braille, nor do I use the internal note
taker for anything.  Its a nice toy, but I prefer Linux on a
rasperry pi zero over any sort of internal OS.  The android based
braille displays might have some interesting features, but the
self-written note taker of HelpTech has no future IMO.
Frankly, I am not even sure if HelpTech has any future.
They have layed off quite some tech people over the years,
and have demonstrated a lack of care in their firmware updates
(cf. bluetooth stopping to work).  But I still like the HelpTech
hardware I am using, but I strictly use it as a terminal to work with over
appliances.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕