[BRLTTY] Please! I need a new brltty 6.4 package for Debian Bookworm.

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Thu Apr 28 10:27:05 EDT 2022

[quoted lines by John J. Boyer on 2022/04/28 at 06:02 -0500]

>For some time brltty has been becoming unresponsive on mutt. Just now it became unresponsive on the title of a book I was trying to download from Bookshare.

The issue, here, is that noone else is having any kind of similar problem. I myself have been using mutt for many years and have never experienced this. Perhaps, if you wouldn't mind keeping a running log to catch it whenever it happens, we might be able tos ee something.

>In both cases, when I went to a console where root was loggee in and pressed  up arrow brltty was restarted.

This, too, is extremely unusual behaviour. Could it rather be that, if you wait long enough, brltty actually eventually restarts on its own?

>there is also the problem that brltty does not do word wrap. This is a regression from all previous Debian versions.

Not just Debian. It's a bug that was accidentally introduced in 6.4. The current plan is to release 6.5 within a couple of weeks.

>If making a new package from the current brltty repository is too much work, what can I do to solve these problems?

Simply making a new package won't likely solve your first problem because, since none of us knows what's causing it, it hasn't been fixed. As for your second problem, no distribution will simply make a new package from the latest development code as they'd have no idea what problems that might be introducing. You need to tell them exactly which specific set of post-6.4 commits need to be picked up. In your case, those would be these two:

   f1564d6d2f37b1b8bea8ba23be46ce2d8ce110bc
   75ffffb59ec996fc6e87f6182aba1162a4f3b8f1

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |