[BRLTTY] Brltty sounds absence with sof-firmware driver used on Linux

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Tue Jan 4 13:02:18 EST 2022

[quoted lines by Vsevolod Popov on 2022/01/04 at 20:09 +0300]

>I have one of the late HP Laptops that uses sof-firmware driver for sound and
>I notice that when I connect a braille display to my laptop, I hear a popping
>sound instead of standard brltty initialization sound, like a sound when you
>connect an audio wire and speaker turns on with the popping sound.

That sounds to me like some audio connection is being prematurely closed, i.e. it isn't waiting for all of the sound to be played.

>As far as I understand, the reason why I hear this popping instead of
>standard brltty sound is the reason that a PC speaker doesn't work.

If there's no PC speaker then I wouldn't think you'd hear any kid of sound. The fact that you're hearing a sound, to me, means that there's a working speaker.

>Is that right?

It's impossible for any of us to guess.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |