[BRLTTY] Brltty sounds absence with sof-firmware driver used on Linux

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sat Jan 8 15:13:02 EST 2022

[quoted lines by Vsevolod Popov on 2022/01/06 at 01:04 +0300]

>The errors that are confusing in this log are that braille display drivers cannot be found.

This means that brltty was trying to find a driver that'd work with your braille device but none worked. It looks like you told it that you have a USB device, and that it tried all of its braille drivers but none of them either recognized or worked with it.

What type of braille device do you have?

What options did you invoke brltty with?

>Also, after launching brltty as root, I noticed that orca stopped working with the display

You'd need to look at Orca's log to see what error(s) it was encountering.

>and the message that I see is "Screen is not in the text mode".

That means that the screen was in graphical mode but no graphical screen reader, e.g. Orca, had requested a BrlAPI connection.

>You also mentioned that it's needed to launch brltty as root, do I understand correctly that when starting the system it launches as a user that we are logged in?

These days, the usual way that brltty is started is via Systemd. However it's started, whether or not via Systemd, it could be run as root or as a regular user. If it's started as a regular user then, to be fully functional, it needs to have been granted adequate additional privileges.

>Is it necessary to fix all errors it displays when launched not as root user?

No. It's just that things that it doesn't have privileges for won't work.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |