[BRLTTY] Multi-column characters (was: Re: 6.5 soon)

Aura Kelloniemi kaura.dev at sange.fi
Fri Jan 28 09:30:19 EST 2022

Hello,

On 2022-01-21 at 12:27 -0500, Dave Mielke <Dave at mielke.cc> wrote:
 > I'm thinking of releasing 6.5 soon. Does anyone know of anything that still needs to be fixed, have any last-minute requests, etc?

Yes, the 'padding space removed after multi-column chaacters on Linux' problem
still exists. Some people absolutely need this feature, and for some it is a
nuisance.

I would suggest making this configurable in the preferences menu.

The option would allow removing paddig space after all multi-column
characters. This is necessary for people reading Asian text.

Linux VT automatically adds this space for some multi-column characters (but not
for all, unfortunately).

On terminals which properly display multi-column characters (I think all
At-Spi2 terminals are in this category) there is no padding space after
multi-column characters. But because these characters are not multi-column in
braille, terminal alignment is messed up braille displays. BRLTTY should also
offer an option to add a padding space after each multi-column character so
that people who use graphical terminals and care about text alignment, still
get their table columns right.

--
Aura