[BRLTTY] Multi-column characters (was: Re: 6.5 soon)

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Mon Jan 31 14:41:06 EST 2022

[quoted lines by Aura Kelloniemi on 2022/01/28 at 18:47 +0200]

> > >The option would allow removing paddig space after all multi-column
> > >characters. This is necessary for people reading Asian text.
>
>Maybe you misunderstood my message. I want to make the current behaviour
>configurable so that both the old and the new behaviour are available. I don't
>want to make things more difficult to anybody (including people using Asian
>languages and myself).

Yes, on rereadding what you wrote, I did misunderstand. I'm sorry.

I guess we need to be able to live with the way Linux has done it even though, in my opinion, it's the wrong way. Linux adds padding in the wrong places, i.e. to the wide chracters. To achieve proper columnization, a language that uses wide characters would introduce padding to the corresponding single-byte characters where necessary.

No other platform has this strange issue so I think the best approach would be to add a Linux screen driver parameter. Doing it that way wouldn't, at least for the moment, make it settable from the preferences menu.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |