[BRLTTY] Use XWindow driver

张钦楠 zqn_1996 at 163.com
Thu Jun 23 04:37:05 EDT 2022

Hello,
I'm new to BRLTTY and I want to learn about it. I've looked at some of the documents listed on https://brltty.app/, and noticed that there is a driver for Xwindow, which is exactly what I need because I don't have a real device for the time being. So I did the following steps according to the doc(I tested on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and used Gnome Terminal to execute commands):

1) I got source code from Github and switched to the release version:
git clone https://github.com/brltty/brltty.git
git checkout BRLTTY-6.5

2) compile and install
./autogen
./configure
make
sudo make install

3) execute
sudo brltty -n -ldebug -b xw -t identity -B tkparms="-geometry -0+0 -display :1",lines=2,cols=20,model=bare

But nothing appeared on the screen and got following print:

brltty: cannot open file: /etc/brltty.conf: No such file or directory
BRLTTY 6.5 rev BRLTTY-6.5-1-g42222e8d+ [https://brltty.app/]
brltty: can't isolate namespaces
brltty: executing as the invoking user: root
brltty: cannot open file: /etc/brltty/Text/identity.ttb: No such file or directory
brltty: cannot compile text table: /etc/brltty/Text/identity.ttb
brltty: cannot load text table: identity
brltty: CLDR open error: No such file or directory: /usr/share/unicode/cldr/common/annotations/en.xml
brltty: possible cause: the package that defines the CLDR annotations directory is not installed
brltty: emoji substitutiion won't be performed
brltty: BrlAPI Server: release 0.8.4
brltty: Screen Driver: lx [Linux]
brltty: /lib/brltty/libbrlttybxw.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
brltty: cannot load braille driver: /lib/brltty/libbrlttybxw.so
brltty: braille driver not loadable: xw
brltty: Speech Driver: no [NoSpeech]
brltty: /lib/brltty/libbrlttybxw.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
brltty: cannot load braille driver: /lib/brltty/libbrlttybxw.so
brltty: braille driver not loadable: xw

Do you have any suggestions for solving this problem.

Thanks!
Alan