[BRLTTY] udev rules

Mario Lang mlang at blind.guru
Fri May 13 01:12:54 EDT 2022

Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> writes:

> As reported on Ubuntu which happens to install brltty by default in its
> latest release, the udev rules for braille devices with generic USB IDs
> are hurting people that have hardware that use the same usb-serial chip.

This is a long solved problem.  ``Tools/updusbdevs -nogeneric``.

mlang at x1:~/Projects/BRLTTY/brltty$ Tools/updusbdevs -h
Usage: updusbdevs [-option ...] [scheme:file ...]
The following options may be specified:
-help       show this usage summary and then exit
-nogeneric  don't include generic USB to serial adapters
-quiet      decrease verbosity
-test       don't update the files
-verbose    increase verbosity

> Dave, could you split the udev rules file in two pieces, one with only
> non-generic IDs and one with only generic IDs? That way, distributions
> can install brltty by default with the udev rules for non-generic IDs,
> and install the udev rules for generic IDs only when requested.

I am not arguing against splitting rules by default, just trying to
mention that running Tools/updusbdevs as part of the package build
process should also do the trick.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕