[BRLTTY] Connecting braille display to qemu guest machine

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Mon Sep 5 18:21:35 EDT 2022

Vsevolod Popov, le ven. 02 sept. 2022 21:26:55 +0300, a ecrit:
> On 9/2/22 19:19, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > The question is maybe: where would you have looked for it? That's
> > probably where it should belong :)
> I looked here):
> https://qemu-project.gitlab.io/qemu/system/devices/usb.html

Ok.

> I assume it's not really right page? )

The place where people tend to look at is usually where one has to put
at least a pointer to where they should look at.

It happens to be the right page :) But it's not actually telling that
one has to create a chardev backend. I have now added this:

 ``usb-braille,chardev=id``
+   Braille device. This emulates a Baum Braille device USB port. id has to
+   specify a character device defined with ``-chardev …,id=id``.  One will
+   normally use BrlAPI to display the braille output on a BRLTTY-supported
+   device with
+
+      qemu_system [...] -chardev braille,id=brl -device usb-braille,chardev=brl
+
+   or alternatively, use the following equivalent shortcut:
+
+      qemu_system [...] -usbdevice braille

That will show up when my pull request gets merged.

Thanks for the report,
Samuel