[BRLTTY] Ask: BRLTTY to improve security for Windows' Narrator by updating to msys2

Sean Marihugh (CELA) seama at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 11 17:22:21 EDT 2024

Hey there - I'm reaching out on behalf of the Narrator team at Microsoft.

The Narrator screen reader in Windows leverages Brltty as its driver for Braille displays, and we have an ask of Brltty to ensure Narrator and its dependencies continue to meet our security requirements. Brltty uses msys1, which has been obsolete for some time now, which means there could be vulnerabilities. Msys2 is the replacement that is actively maintained by an open-source community. Here is some context on this, as well as some documentation:
How are msys, msys2, and msysgit related to each other? - Stack Overflow<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25019057/how-are-msys-msys2-and-msysgit-related-to-each-other>
msys2 - Software Distribution and Building Platform for Windows<https://www.msys2.org/>

Once Brltty meets msys2 requirements, we would then need brltty to be published to vcpkg.io<https://vcpkg.io/en/>, a widely-used distribution platform.
vcpkg overview | Microsoft Learn<https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/vcpkg/get_started/overview>

ASK: Please update brltty to include support for msys2, and once that is done, publish via vcpkg.io.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and I'm happy to connect with our team.

Thanks!
Sean