[BRLTTY] Re: Most suitable linux distro for a blind linux newbie?

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sun Aug 7 15:50:10 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'd better see this on brltty at mielke.cc :)

Terry D. Cudney, le Sun 07 Aug 2005 15:42:08 -0400, a écrit :

	I have used Slackware (for about 2 years), Redhat for about a year and now Debian for the last 6 years or so. I have only recently started using Braille with brltty and a Brailliant display, previously depending on speakup for voice synthesis with a hardware synthesizer.

	For a new linux user, probably the most "automated" installation method is the best, Redhat/Fedora. However, I prefer  Debian for the best of both worlds, ie I retain easy installation and update methods, while gainig back some of the control that I felt Redhat took away. I can more easily, IMHO, customize the configuration of my system with Debian.

	Question for you: I had useable visiion although limited until about four years ago, so never pursued the use of Braille. However, now with zero vision, I am endeavoring to get up to speed with braille and particularly, the use of the Brailliant display with brltty. My question is how do I switch between 6-dot and 8-dot braille with brltty/Brailliant? I have the latest svn of brltty installed as of three days ago.

	I would like to study Grade 2, 6-dot braille contractions/rules now and later proceed to computer braille/Nemeth code/etc. Any pointers to making better use of brltty/Brailliant, and/or online tutorial information will be much appreciated.

	--terry