[BRLTTY] WORDS AND WORDS... BUT GNOPERNICUS?

Christopher Moore w1gm at arrl.net
Wed Aug 10 09:02:20 EDT 2005

Hi Kenny,
I've had similar unfavorable experiences with gnopernicus and gnome.  I
think the basic problem is getting a compatable snapshot of libraries and
applications.

Debian seems to be a common starting point, but because debian comes in so
many flavors, what does this really mean in terms of actual versions of
applications x, y and z?

Another potential distro is ubuntu.  Some folks on the gnome-accessibility
list have had recent success but not sure whether they were using brltty.
I booted the accessible live cd, and gnopernicus  actually came up talking.
There doesn't appear to be any brltty support on the live cd.  The main
drawback to ubuntu is the lack of an accessible install.  There might be a
way around this by using debbootstrap to a vacant hd partition.  Again this
is uncharted territory and may lead to another dead end.

Gentoo may provice the most promise.  The distro can be installed with
speakup,  brltty is one of the supported packages and the maintainers are
committed to supporting accessibility.

So I'm all for some resonably concise documentation on getting some useful
access out of gnome.

As to web browsers, while the text browsers such as elinks have come a long
way, there is still much work to be done in order to support javascript.
Perhaps the mozilla solution is preferrable provided the accessibility is
working.

Hope you get your braille displays working again and hope you don't need to
rob a bank to pay for it <grin>.

Chris