[BRLTTY] WORDS AND WORDS... BUT GNOPERNICUS?

Christopher Moore w1gm at arrl.net
Thu Aug 11 09:06:51 EDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 10:15:47AM -0500, Kenny Hitt wrote:

> I'll try to recreate the file I started, but it will have parts specific
> to Debian.  I origionally wrote it to try to document how to get
> Gnopernicus up and running for Sarge.

Kenny,
I'd be willing to help with this documentation effort.  I installed sarge
on a test machine. I added x-windows, brltty and festival packages.  What's
next?  Below are a few initial questions I thought of.  Some of the answers
are probably obvious to an exerienced debian user, but I'm somewhere toward
the other end of the spectrum.

Q: The brltty installed by sarge is outdated (3.4 I think).  How do I
rebuild it with a newer version without confusing the apt packaging system?
Do I first remove the debian package and build brltty from sources?  If so,
debian won't know that I have brltty installed.

q: when I installed the brltty package, it didn't ask me whether I wanted
brlapi support.  Is there a way to include brlapi support within the
context of debian package management or am I better off not using the
package approach and building from sources.

Q: How do I install the required packages for gnome and gnopernicus?  Maybe
we'll again be in a situation where we install the stock gnome packages and
build some or all of the accessibility stuff from sources.

Q: What about mozilla?  Does debian have packages or do we build from
sources?

I believe that a clearly documented roadmap would go a long way towards
demistifying the gnoem experience.

Chris