[BRLTTY] Re: Jaws/BRLTTY sleep mode

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Thu Aug 25 15:14:36 EDT 2005

Hi,

Lee Maschmeyer, le Thu 25 Aug 2005 14:25:36 -0400, a écrit :
> I verified a couple days ago that brltty cannot work when Jaws braille is
> awake; brltty kept retrying every 5 seconds as expected and I ultimately
> had to reboot the computer.

Why rebooting? Doesn't Jaws continue working?

> A 5-second delay in restarting doesn't bother me particularly, though if it
> could be reduced without overloading Windows it would be nice.

Just trying to open a device is not very costly, so I think it can be
reduced to a responsive enough value (the update interval for instance),
in that case. But the whole device probing loop is costly, so we can't
just reduce the 5000 delay in config.c.

Dave, maybe we can just modify the serialOpenDevice to silently loop
as long as it gets an ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED error, and fail after, say,
having tried for 1 second.

> Does Cygwin get some kind of an event or signal when it gains
> focus?

It probes focus each refresh update interval (40ms by default).

Regards,
Samuel