[BRLTTY] A SpeechAPI for BrlTTY

Terry D. Cudney terry at braille.uwo.ca
Tue Aug 30 16:36:36 EDT 2005

Hello list,

	I am fairly new to the list and braille in general, so forgive me if my question is juvenile in this context.

	First, let me thank Dave Mielke for brltty and especially the new driver for the Brailliant display... it works beautifully as far as I can tell. I'm using it to get myself up to speed in Braille.

	On the other hand, I have been using speakup (screen review/speecch for linux) for several years. I now am using them concurrently with great success... My question:

	Why develop another speech package from scratch? speech-dispatcher and speakup are already very useable and work together with brltty. Perhaps I'm missing something? I realize that this is not a solution for Windows/brltty users, but for linux users...

	--terry