[BRLTTY] The Inka display

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Nov 13 22:44:39 EST 2005

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 11:58:32AM -0700, Mike Keithley wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I an borrowing an Inka braille display and want to use it with brltty.  I
> understand brltty now has support for the Inka.  Unfortunately I don't know
> what the display is called, but the time-stamps of the file on the two floppy
> disks are 1995 and there are rows of numbers on the left and right side of the
> display.  My wife says there is "system 90" on the top of the display.
That will be an INKA.

> I have these questions:
>
> Does anyone know where to find documentation in English?
On the disks supplied with the display should be documentation for the
original DOS drivers. You may need to upgrade the firmware in order to use it
with BRLTTY, however. To do this, you should contact BAUM and give them the
serial number of the INKA, which is printed on the under side of the device.

What is the version number displayed on the INKA when you connect it to a
computer and start it up? Note that the version number is represented using
dot-6 numbers. If it says "mode 1" at the end of the version number then you
have the necessary firmware; otherwise you'll probably need an upgrade.

> This display has an integrated keyboard and a cable for the keyboard port.
> There is also a serial port.  So, how should this display be connected?  I
> assume that if I use the keyboard connection, the integrated keyboard will be
> active, but will the braille display also be active?  Should I use the keyboard
> port to connect the keyboard and the serial port to activate the braille
> display?
For use with BRLTTY you should connect both the keyboard port and the serial
port. INKA is capable of working entirely from the keyboard port, but the
Linux kernel keyboard driver can't handle this, so for now at least you'll
need to connect both the keyboard and serial cables.