[BRLTTY] stupid but interesting question

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sun Nov 13 23:39:20 EST 2005

[quoted lines by mrkiko on 2005/11/13 at 19:58 +0000]

>How can I make brltty start before init?

That's not a stupid question at all. That, in fact, is exactly what I myself do
since it gives me braille as early as possible. Check your /etc/inittab for a
line which looks something like this:

   si::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

The line will be somewhat different from one distribution to another, but
they'll all have such a line. What you're looking for is the word "sysinit" in
the third column. All such lines are run exactly once, in order from top to
bottom, when the system is booted. Once you've found the line, add a line like
this just before it:

   brl::sysinit:/bin/brltty

That should do it.