[BRLTTY] Questions about the BRLTTY core and Linux

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Tue Dec 5 12:38:51 EST 2006

Hi,

mrkiko, le Tue 05 Dec 2006 18:23:16 +0100, a écrit :
> 1 - when you paste something into a terminal BRLTTY never releases that
> terminal since you don't paste again into another one.

Mmm, what do you mean?  Could you explain the exact steps?

> 2 - The BRLTTY core keep open /dev/null.

I guess you meant tty0.

> This will make the kernel SAK support kill BRLTTY when enabled (THAT'S
> NOT GOOD!).

Gasp! I though SAK would only kill it if it is used as session tty.

The problem is that we need to open /dev/tty0 for various stuff like
emulating key presses, knowing the current VT, etc.  We could close it
when not needed, but we still have to open it from times to times for at
least knowing which VT is active.  Pressing SAK would then sometimes
kill it anyway.

A solution would be to have a way to temporarily suspend the Linux
screen driver, then press SAK, then resume the Linux screen driver.

Samuel