gnome-braille (was Re: [BRLTTY] How to programmatically do a blinking cursor and/or blinking cells?)

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Mon Dec 11 13:33:23 EST 2006

Hi,

Willie Walker, le Mon 11 Dec 2006 10:11:23 -0500, a écrit :
> Gnome-braille is definitely a good thing to talk about.  At some point
> soon, we want to make sure we have the following in Orca:
>
> 1) Good support for multiple locales
> 2) Good support for Grade 2 braille
>
> For both of these, we'd really like to be able to just toss UTF-8 text
> and have it display the right thing.  In addition, we'd like
> to determine UTF-8 character offset from cursor routing keys versus the
> Grade 2 braille cell offset.
>
> Does gnome-braille provide this for us?
>
> Are things like Japanese, Korean, and Chinese supported?

Yes to all of this!  Gnome-braille was precisely written for this
purpose.  Dave, has Bill subscribed to brltty at mielke.cc? (he may want to
speak about this)

> Can we accomplish this via simpler means?
> Is this something that might be rolled directly into BrlAPI?

I don't think so.  We'd rather keep BrlAPI for what it's good for:
communication between clients and the BrlAPI server.  Translation stuff
can be built as a separate module, so I'd say this should actually be a
separate module.

Samuel