[BRLTTY] Xbrlapi

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Tue Dec 12 04:27:01 EST 2006

Hi,

Yannick PLASSIARD, le Tue 12 Dec 2006 08:56:47 +0100, a écrit :
> > Yes, and [xbrlapi] emulates the PASSCHAR braille keypresses directly at the
> > server level.  Orca should hence ignore such keys (actually, all
> > keysyms).
> I'd like just to point out that for now this is not the case :
> If you run Orca after xbrlapi, wou don't have any keypresses transmitted
> to the X server.

Yes, because orca eats the key presses.

> But I'd also like to ask this: Would it be so bad to implement PASSCHAR
> keypresses into the braille component of Orca ? Because of orca doing
> focus tracking, it would be easy to post keypresses to the right
> application, and it would be easier for the user (no need to start one
> program, and then another).
> Just think about an end-user point of view...

If orca, lsr, gnopernicus, etc. screen readers are ready to implement
this, why not of course.  But as I said, synthesizing key presses is not
that trivial, so that's why I implemented it for everybody in a generic
program.

Note: as I said, the "start one, and then another" issue WILL be fixed,
so there is no need to develop hacks for tackling this issue.

Samuel