[BRLTTY] BrlAPI and dot string <-> dot integer conversion

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Dec 12 23:42:43 EST 2006

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 01:12:56AM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> What do people think about this?  Would these helpers be useful enough
> for adding them to the API ?

I would vote for "1234" or maybe "1-2-3-4" if you want a separator.

The advantage of adding these functions and macros to the API is that there
will then be a standard format, and standard functions, for manipulating dot
numbers and strings composed from them. The alternative is that applications
would implement the same functionality inconsistently. I agree it is trivial,
but I think the advantage lies in the consistency that would be created by
adding them to the API. The functions are also small, so it couldn't
reasonably be argued that too much code is being added.

So, in the absence of a better argument to the contrary I would suggest adding
them.