[BRLTTY] Typing/reading braille combinations

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Fri Mar 10 20:39:23 EST 2006

Jason White, le Sat 11 Mar 2006 12:15:39 +1100, a écrit :
> If this mechanism gives key press and key release events,

It does.

> it could also be used to implement braille keyboard input.

Mmm. Why not indeed :)

BTW, I was wondering about some related issue.

Sometimes, one needs to type a braille character "as is", i.e. so that
it is recorded as a braille combination only, and not interpreted as a
letter (unicode utf-8 encoding permits that). This would be useful for
writing braille tables for instance. Another instance is a mail that we
got some time ago:

« Why my "e acute" letters are displayed this way: "é" ? »

This shows that he missed the way to type a "raw" braille combination :)

I guess the way "raw" braille combinations should be typed would depend
on the braille device: a "prefix" key combination for instance. Maybe
brltty driver authors should think about this?

The dual issue is then how to read them: people need to be able to
distinguish between the "A" letter and the corresponding braille
combination ("⠁"). A common solution to all devices might be found
here.

Regards,
Samuel