[BRLTTY] buglet: uinput is not autoloaded

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Tue Mar 28 09:29:13 EST 2006

Hi.

JFYI, I knew of this for a long time, but now it hit some other
user, and I realized the situation right now is not really optimal:
uinput does not get autoloaded by the kernel in any way,
so the user needs to modprobe it, or put it into /etc/modules,
otherwise they will only get the default english keyboard layout
for the external keyboard.  I guess some will never realize they
could actually use the mapping they already configured for the
local console.

Any suggestions?  Can't we call modprobe explicitly in
the uinputOpen case?  check for it in /proc/modules first, of course...

--
CYa,
  Mario