[BRLTTY] Performance of braille device

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Nov 13 16:57:33 EST 2006

[quoted lines by scott at bashautomation.com on 2006/11/13 at 16:45 -0500]

>On an actual braille device, do the pins get reset if the same text is
>sent to the device?

That question has a hardware-specific answer. The protocols for some models
allow for only part of the display to be updated. For most, however, the entire
content must be sent each time. That's not to say, however, that the various
models don't optimize this internally and just leave a pin where it is if the
end result for any given pin would be that its position won't change. I've yet
to use any model where pins which don't need to move sow any sign of motion.

>Also, when a user enters text, what are the
>performace penalties of sending an entire string for each character
>compared to appending a character at a specified location.

By "sending an entire string for each character" do you mean sending a string
of ever-increasing length each time the next character is entered? Why would
one want to do that?