[BRLTTY] key problems on Alva Satellite 544 with brltty 3.7.2

Nicolas Pitre nico at cam.org
Mon Oct 2 16:00:36 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by Nicolas Pitre on 2006/10/02 at 15:26 -0400]
>
> >> Are there any other features which anyone would really like to see in 3.8?
> >
> >Some way for BRLTTY when built as a standalone-program to redirect its
> >log outputs to a console other than the foreground console.
>
> The -e option with standard error redirected should do that.

However you don't want to redirect stderr for the installer (actually
/sbin/init) that gets execv()'d by BRLTTY itself, nor do you want to
hide away messages for any problem BRLTTY might have attempting to do
so.

> We could add -L (uppercase) [--log-destination=], which takes a file name,
> point file descriptor 2 at that file, and set the "log to standard error" flag.
> Would that do?

I think so.  The fork() and execv() of /sbin/init happens right at the
beginning of main() so any redirection of stderr afterwards would be
fine.

> Which virtual console should the braillified installer use for this?

I don't remember exactly which one are already used, consoles 1, 2 and 3
for sure... Maybe console #5?

Nicolas