[BRLTTY] Variable status cell displays and BrlAPI

Lars Bjørndal lars.bjorndal at broadpark.no
Thu Oct 26 03:35:01 EDT 2006

Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> writes:

[...]

> BTW, writing on the status cells is not yet implemented because we
> didn't yet take the time to gather information about those.  I guess
> on some models there is sometimes some spacing between them and the
> display.  Are these cells always on the left of the display, or
> sometimes on the right?  May anything be displayed on them, or are there
> sometimes some restrictions?

I've never seen a braille display with status cells at the right.
However, if you have a braille display without fixed status cells
(that means without spacing between status and ordinary cells), the
user could select if she wants the status cells at the left or right
side. She also could select how many status elements she wants.

On a 20/40/80 character display from Handy Tech, it's, in the Jaws driver,
possible to switch between displaying text or status information by
pressing the two space bars (the two long keys in the front) together.
When the status information is displayed, it's possible to initiate
functions with the cursor keys above the status elements. Maybe this
also could be implemented in BRLTTY?

Lars