[BRLTTY] Variable status cell displays and BrlAPI

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Thu Oct 26 08:50:18 EDT 2006

Nicolas Pitre <nico at cam.org> writes:

> On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Mario Lang wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> As far as I can see (please correct me if I am wrong), there is no
>> way to write the status cell content via BrlAPI.  The new
>> HandyTech Modular Evolution series has no spacing between status cells
>> and main display, so it could potentially be used as a full 88 (or 64) char
>> display.  I think we should make sure this can be utilized from
>> API clients, since these are more likely to not rely on even display
>> width.  What can we do to make this possible?
>> Ideally, the brlapi_write call should allow a regionSize of 88.
>> However, this also means that displaySize should be able to report 88.
>
> This is a driver issue not a brlapi issue.  The driver should detect
> such display models and advertise the display as being a 88 cells to the
> core (possibly with a driver parameter if this is not desirable in all
> cases).

Well, but I dont want to use 88 cells in a text console, only
for API clients.  If the driver were to report 88 to the core, the
core would use these 88 chars for normal text display, which means
on my 80 column terminal that the remaining 8 cells are wasted.
However, I'd rather have these 8 cells be used for status display
as long as I am in a terminal.

--
CYa,
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'
   `-