[BRLTTY] Possible contraction error: Guenever

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Sep 16 10:54:59 EDT 2006

[quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on 2006/09/11 at 13:57 -0400]

>According to the dictionary.com this should be spelled Guinevere. This
>spelling is contracted correctly.
>
>But throughout Mark Twain's book "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's
>Court" the spelling of Guenever is used. This same spelling is also used in
>the modernized-spelling edition of Malory's Le Morte Darthur available on
>Project Gutenberg and apparently edited by A. W. Pollard (whoever that may
>be).

If Americans can drop the "u" in words like "colour" and "favour", then why
can't they also drop an "e" in someone's name. :-)

Please let Her Royal Highness know that revision 2440 makes her honoured name
more accessible to those in the western hemisphere.