[BRLTTY] e d o

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Thu Aug 30 09:30:58 EDT 2007

As promised, here is the research on Dave's list of words having e-d-o in
them. Note that at least a couple confirm my contention that a contraction
can go from an unaccented to an accented syllable (see "fedora"). Does
anybody have an example of a contraction going from an accented to an
unaccented syllable? I can't think of any but really don't know where to
start.

I have no examples of "redout"; however, the dictionary breaks this as
"red-out"; it's the opposite of blackout - blood is forced into the head by
severe momentum changes (experienced by pilots and astronauts) causing
things to appear red. (I hadn't heard of it before and it wasn't in my spell
checker; we be really getting erudite here! :-)

We should add to these the previously reported (but not on the list)
Rhadamanthus which should not use the h-a-d sign.

In the list below, if I have more than 5 examples of the word I stopped at
5. Note that I have only one example of "pedometer." Here's the list; read
in computer braille:

)! ,b$aw91 ! ,we/}n-born1 :}"e !y may
deriv$ f ,abraham1 ! t5t (! ,b$aw9 yet
 tribesm5 l ! ,b$aw9 he mi<t h got a