[BRLTTY] Is it possible to set a braille text table from brlapi?

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Wed Dec 12 17:02:03 EST 2007

Hello,
I would like to know if it is possible to set a braille text table (the
table to define dot patterns for characters) from an apllication using
brlapi. If not, is there any way I can always get reliable output?

I probably need to explain a bit further my actual situation. It is that
I am developing software to produce braille from mathematical documents
(LaTeX), and I am wanting to use brltty and brlapi to allow my program
to display the translated text on a braille display. As my software is
the translator, the output from it will be in brf form with all the
correct notation used to give the correct output should it be viewed
with the brf table. I am working in python, so the calls I will describe
are the python ones. If I use writeText to send the data to the display,
the output viewed depends on what table the user has selected, so can I
tell it which table to use? If not is there another way? I am
considering whether I need to create a function internal to my
application to create suitable dot patterns from text, and then use the
dot patterns from this function in the writeDots function of brlapi. Is
this last option going to be my only way to guarantee what dots are
raised?

From
Michael Whapples