[BRLTTY] Is it possible to set a braille text table from brlapi?

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Wed Dec 12 18:13:32 EST 2007

Jason White, le Thu 13 Dec 2007 09:57:07 +1100, a écrit :
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 10:30:08PM +0000, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Michael Whapples, le Wed 12 Dec 2007 22:02:03 +0000, a écrit :
> > > I would like to know if it is possible to set a braille text table (the
> > > table to define dot patterns for characters) from an apllication using
> > > brlapi.
> >
> > Not yet, but that's on the TODO list.
>
> Is the ability to switch on/off contraction tables from BRLAPI also on the
> list?

Yes

> At the moment, if I'm running an application that uses BRLAPI, Orca to be
> specific, I can't obtain contracted braille output, which is a major
> inconvenience.

That's a different problem.  The text that Orca feeds via BrlAPI is not
processed through the brltty contraction algorithm, because Orca would
have no way to know how wide the output will be and thus the quantity of
text to feed.  Instead, Orca should use a braille contraction library
like liblouis, and send dots via BrlAPI.  This is actually exactly the
same problem as font rendering on a graphical display: nowadays, all
font rasterization is performed on the client side, and mere pixmaps are
sent to the X server.

Samuel