[BRLTTY] Final release of brltty 3.8?

Willie Walker William.Walker at Sun.COM
Wed Feb 21 09:18:38 EST 2007

Hi Dave:

Dave Mielke wrote:
> not they agree. The applications I'm particularly referring to are Orca, LSR,
> and Gnopernicus, and I'd appreciate it very much if representatives from them
> could let me know if they're content with or if they'd like to see further
> improvements to BrlAPI and/or BRLTTY.

We've been following all along, and have been making incremental changes
to Orca to match the incremental changes to BrlAPI.  It's been kind of a
harrowing experience (thanks for your help everyone!), but I think
things are working now.  Many of our users are on Feisty at the moment,
however, and Feisty currently has some issues with USB.  So...it's hard
for some of our users to really test/validate that Orca works with the
latest stuff from BrlTTY's SVN repository.  I personally have tested it
with a Baum Vario 40 on Edgy using a Keyspan USA-19HS USB-to-serial
dongle, however, and it seems to work well.

Before releasing 3.8 officially, I'd propose waiting until Ubuntu fixes
the USB issues on Feisty and let a few more users take the latest Orca
and BrlTTY/BrlAPI stuff for a test ride.

I would also like to see 3.8 make it into Feisty, however, especially
because the Pyrex dependency for the Python bindings: Pyrex is a common
tripping point for users who build BrlTTY from SVN.  By getting 3.8 and
the Python bindings into Feisty, we'd eliminate this tripping point.
I'd also propose discussing this with Henrik at Ubuntu (CC'd).  For
example, what is the risk of 3.8 not making it into Feisty?

For work beyond 3.8 (and Orca v2.18, coming out in a few weeks), I'd
like to be able to focus on some very important things.  These include
at least the following:

1) Internationalization support
2) Grade 2 braille, both displaying it and handling cursor routing keys
3) Better integration with BrlTTY features (e.g., blinking cursor)

Thanks!

Will