[BRLTTY] Setting up bluetooth

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Sat Jan 6 18:52:33 EST 2007

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 05:22:18PM -0000, Alastair Irving wrote:
> I'm running ubuntu 6.10 and use a brailliant 40 display.  Could anyone
> possibly let me know the best way of getting my display working with
> bluetooth?  I can do an hcitool --scan and get the address of the
> display, but can't work out how to connect.  Where does the pin need to
> go?

This is a timely question as there was discussion on the list, not so long
ago, about changing the way this is handled in response to recent developments
in the Linux Bluetooth (BlueZ) framework.

It wasn't clear from that discussion what the developers decided to implement,
however. As I remember, they were considering encouraging the BlueZ developers
to include a command line tool in the distribution to supply the pin. There
was also some BRLTTY-related discussion about where the pin should be stored,
and in particular whether it belongs in a configuration file and what the
security implications of this (having a security key as plain text in a config
file) would be.