[BRLTTY] brltty "keyboard braille device" support (and a few more things)

Klaus Knopper brltty at knopper.net
Thu Jan 25 14:49:50 EST 2007

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 02:24:02PM -0500, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2007, Klaus Knopper wrote:
>
> > I wasn't talking about taking features away from brltty, but about
> > adding new ones.
> >
> > I would be content with sbl, but I really think that brltty could do a
> > better job when adopting some of the sbl features.
>
> Then why aren't you doing just that: use sbl for speech and brltty for
> braille, in parallel?

Because I want to be able to drive the sound output with BOTH, the
keyboard and the braille device, and not having TWO screenreaders
interferring with each other.

I don't think there is a way to run brltty and sbl in parallel. And,
why is it not desirable to increase the feature portfolio of brltty to
have a real all-in-one mainstream program for accessibility, that could
also be used in connection with ktts/orca?

sbl alone is, I'm afraid, more or less a dead end, unless it would be
rewritten from scratch (and possibly support the brltty API).

Regards
-Klaus Knopper