[BRLTTY] brltty "keyboard braille device" support (and a few more things)

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Jan 26 01:38:14 EST 2007

[quoted lines by Nicolas Pitre on 2007/01/25 at 23:51 -0500]

>I never used sbl. I've often had two brltty instances running on the
>same console though, driving two different braille displays (useful when
>writing a new braille driver).  And I've also used emacspeak and brltty
>together without any problem already.
>
>So I don't see why brltty and sbl couldn't work together on the same
>console given that sbl doesn't prevent brltty from driving the braille
>display of course.

I believe sbl started out its life as a copy of an early brltty release. This
means that it most likely reads the screen in the same way, so there wouldn't
be a conflict since the vcsa devices can be used by several applications
si9multaneously.

>Good speech support is beyond a simple "extension".

Oerhaps, but I've a pretty good suspicion that it can be done in an isolated
extension. This would require a bit of restructuring, but that in itself would
be a good thing. We've survived adding USB support, adding Bluetooth support,
portabilizing serial support, adding support for other (non-Linux) platforms,
supporting multiple dot table formats, incorporating BrlAPI, etc. In all these
cases, careful code restructuring and isolation were important ingredients,
brltty's source is much better off for it, and content users are the result.