[BRLTTY] BrlAPI on Windows

Matt Campbell mattc at serotek.com
Mon Jun 25 18:33:38 EDT 2007

Hello:

Thanks in part to Samuel's quick work on the Windows implementation of
the XWindow braille driver, I've decided to use BRLTTY to add braille
support to System Access, Serotek's screen-reader-like product for
Windows.  (Yes, we do intend to respect the GPL, by making source
available for the version of BRLTTY we use, including any modifications.)

The plan is for our product to spawn its own copy of BRLTTY and use
BrlAPI to control the braille display.  But if I understand correctly,
on Windows, a BrlAPI client can only be active in one window -- the
window whose handle is passed to brlapi_enterTtyMode.  But our client
needs to be active for all windows, except for console windows which
BRLTTY itself can handle quite well.  What's the best way to achieve
this?  One solution which occurred to me is that if the client passes 0
to brlapi_enterTtyMode, then the client would be active for all windows
except console windows and other windows that have BrlAPI clients
associated with them.  Are there any problems with this solution?  I
wouldn't mind implementing it and submitting a patch.

Thanks.
--
Matt Campbell
Lead Programmer