[BRLTTY] "Can't access console"

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Nov 8 17:09:59 EST 2007

[quoted lines by Mario Lang on 2007/11/08 at 20:08 +0100]

>"Shows up" is going to be complicated, because it might as well take some
>time until the chroot actually happens and the root fs is fully populated (e.g.,
>I use a custom setup at work where the root fs is actually retrieved
>with rsync, that can take some time). But yes, that sounds like a plan.

But brltty is now able to wait for resources. It doesn't need them all to be
available right up front. If enough devices are in the initramfs then it can
get going well enough, and still change to the real root file system later for
even better functionality. Does the initramfs remain mounted to the real root
file system?

> * finally, a special binary does the pivot_root/chroot dance
>   and finally executes init (the binary is started with exec, so that the
>   initial initramfs process with PID 1 gets replaced by the
>   new /sbin/init process from the real root filesystem).

I've never researched the pivot_root facility. Where's the initramfs
afterwards, and is it left there?

>I currently start brltty directly after udev, and before
>all other service scripts that might lead to output or
>even input (passphrase for crypto, or a failure to mount the real root fs
>will actually launch a shell).

Looks like the right way to do it.

>Could we perhaps use a special signal to implement this?
>We could have some parameter to brltty that tells it what the path
>of the new root fs is going to be, and if brltty receives this
>signal, it will reopen all its filehandles based on the
>new root?  We could then just send this signal in
>the sysvinit script if we detect that brltty was started
>by initramfs...

Do you have a particular signal in mind? Is there any convnetional signal for
something like that?