[BRLTTY] my brltty.conf and conf.orig...

Sérgio Neves sergionevess at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 13:51:26 EST 2007

Hi,
Is your braille display connected by usb?
I had this problem one or two months ago with a focus braille display
(connected by usb), and I think when ubuntu starts, it renames brltty.conf
to brltty.conf.orig and replaces the brltty.conf you made with a version
that is copied from a place I don't know.
To solve this problem, I edited the /etc/init.d/brltty and I commented the
lines that say to rename brltty.conf to brltty.conf.orig and copy the
brltty.conf form a place I don't know to /etc.
After this step, it may happen that brltty no longer starts up
automatically.
To solve this, I edited the file that controls the usb startup of brltty and
I think it's on /udev/rules.. And when it appears one path for brltty
executable, I replace this path with /bin/brltty.
Maybe you don't need to do this second step, depending on whether brltty
starts up automatically or not.
Sorry for not being much rigorous, but I don't remember very well this
second step because I didn't discover it alone and I don't have yet the
knowledge enough to understand the startup process.
After that, you can change brltty.conf and it will never be overwritten when
you restart ubuntu.

I hope this helps.
Best regards

Sérgio Neves