[BRLTTY] redhat enterprise linux

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Tue Nov 27 18:08:39 EST 2007

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 05:52:34PM -0800, Hurst, Cody wrote:
> You can scramble but I will forever always say cli can never screw up, never
> slow anything down and never crash. Guis you need to worry about libraries,
> toolkits, etc. It's a big mess.

I agree, but there are plenty of other reasons why non-GUI environments are
easier to use and more efficient in many cases. GUI environments are easier to
learn for the inexperienced, but they lack the expressiveness of
language-based user interfaces.

One exception to this is the GUI developed for the Plan 9 and Inferno
operating systems, which essentially updates Unix to take account of graphical
terminals from the ground up. It would be an interesting research project to
make this interface accessible via braille and keyboard-only interaction. Of
course, much of it is command-oriented; it just takes advantage of windows and
mouse operations in the design.

Regrettably, much of the world is still fixated on WIMP interfaces, which I
don't like for the above and other reasons.