[BRLTTY] rhmkiso out of space error

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Oct 16 18:03:35 EDT 2007

[quoted lines by Don Raikes on 2007/10/16 at 14:44 -0700]

>I am attempting to create a braillified boot cd for redhat enterprise linux 4
>AS u3.
>
>When I run rhmkiso with the boot.iso from the first cd and brltty-3.8.tar.gz
>or brltty-3.7.tar.gz I get a lot of out of space errors when the script is
>attempting to copy files (see log below).
>
>I know that I have had this kind of problem before, and it was resolved, but I
>don't remember how it was fixed. I am running the commands on an enterprise
>linux 5 system with over 200gb of freespace.

The messages look way worse than the situation. The problem is that adding
brltty to the initrd requires more space than has been allocated within the
initrd. rhmkiso knows how to deal with it, though, and corrects for the
problem. All you need to ensure is that rhmkiso exits with a return code of 0.
If it does then the image is fine.

Later installers, e.g. FC6 and F7, use cpio rather than a gzipped ext2 file
system so they don't have the problem. Perhaps later RHEL installers use cpio
as well.